Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Well, I suppose we should get it started.

Our third reader, Valia, gave permission for us to go ahead, and suggested that we share the page number we're on so far at the top of the post, which I actually think is a really good idea. :)

I'll try to refrain from spoilers. I'm on page 177 and in Chapter 10 of Part Two.

So far, I'm quite enjoying this. It's easy to read and get into the characters and story, even if you're only ten pages in or so. While not exactly gripping, there is something that draws one into the story so that you want to read more, without being pressured into it, and soon the pages pile up....

The characters are interesting- of course, it's too close to the beginning to tell just how everything turns out and whether or not characters will be good/bad, etc, but I think I have some peoples that might be favourites, if of course they all behave themselves through out the book.

I find it at least a little amusing that just at the time that I started reading War and Peace, I began to help my brother with a rather detailed and somewhat intense and structured research project covering the area (Russia, Prussia, Bavaria, Austria, etc), from the early 1800s upwards....which is of course when War and Peace is set. All the additional information, even if it's not directly related to the story, will be nice. Details, I love details! And facts. ;)

I guess this is all for now. Cheers everyone!

4 comments:

  1. I'm at, I think, chapter 4 of part two? Something like that.

    I agree, it's quite easy to get into once you figure out all the names (thank goodness for the list of characters in the front!). All of the Russian authors I've read (all three or four :P) seem to have that in common. Lots of dialogue, not so much filler or philosophising. I like it.

    What do you think of the characters so far? Which favourites? Thus far I am rather fond of Pierre. Interesting fellow though I suspect he's going to end up with Natasha. NOOOOO.

    The only other one that's really stood out to me is Marya, and her family. I liked her at first, and I feel sorry for her, but now I think she's a bit of a doormat. Not so much in what she'll endure and her acceptance of her situation, but how she insists in thinking the best of people even when they obviously aren't. I suppose it's a coping mechanism of sorts...

    (Do you mind if I add tags? Feel free to edit as you like. It would be nice to have all the topics in their own categories, however that works best.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes indeed! While I like the more, English, I guess, style of longer books, it's nice to have a long book that is, well, pretty much only containing the plot.

    I'm on chapter 8 of part three or so.

    I like Maria very much- she and Andrei so far are my favourites. I like their relationship, and I also like Maria herself. I'm not sure if I can exactly 100% identify with her, or whether I can identify with her at all, but I like her and I'm most curious as to how her story will go. I'm most interested in what she is personality wise, of course. ;) I suppose one reason I like Maria is because she seems to live so much in the shadows- in the shadow of her prettier companion, in the shadow of her father, her home, her life in general. And I have a deep regard and affection for people who live in shadows. :)

    Good idea about tags, thanks for editing! I don't mind a bit, since this hopefully will be more than just a War and Peace blog it's good to have everything sorted from the beginning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Personality types: well, I've seen more than one place peg Pierre as an INTP! Except not when he's drunk, haha. Marya I'm almost certain is an INFP or ISFP, and a right-brain introvert. (True about her "living in the shadows," and I wonder what will become of her too.) Not sure about the others. Her dad, can't remember his name at present, is 100% IxTJ. Natasha is maybe an ENFP or something. E for sure. What do you think? (Sorry, Valia! I knew this personality rigmarole would come up sooner or later, but yes, this is sooner. :P)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hah, sorry Valia. ;)

    Do you think personally Pierre is an INTP? :) Maria is a Right Brain Introvert for sure- IxFP sounds right for her, I suppose we'll have to read more to see and such. I think Andrei is an ISxx, but I'm not sure. In other words, you're the expert here. ;)

    ReplyDelete