Monday, December 14, 2009

Translations

I have read absolutely nothing since I last posted. Instead I sang lots, had snowball fights, and baked stuff. Shameful I know. :P

But I was going to ask, which translations are you reading? According to the ever-wonderful Wikipedia there are ten, though I doubt that all are readily available. Even the character names are different; in some versions they're more anglicised (Maria for Marya, Lisa for Lise). I prefer the Russian ones, myself.

I had Ann Dunnigan (what I owned) and Anthony Briggs (what the library had) to choose from, and Briggs is supposed to have modernised things for today's audience, or whatever they say, so I'm reading Dunnigan. It's hard to tell without reading the original, of course, but it's not bad. It flows well and reads like...well, a nineteenth century novel! Which is what we all wanted, right?

4 comments:

  1. I have the Rosemary Edmonds translation. I suppose it's alright, I'm afraid I'm not the best on telling the differences between translations and whatnot...as long as it's unabridged I'm good. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have the Louise and Aylmer Mayde translation.
    And I, em, have made very little progress on W&P. *looks very ashamed* But I like it so far!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't feel too bad Valia- these past few days I've been stuck in the 330 pages due to lack of time...so I'm sure you'll be catching up soon! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I strongly suspect that I am behind you, Valia, so be comforted.

    I never really noticed the quality of translations either, until I read some truly awful ones! As long as it doesn't scream "Translation!", all is well. :P

    ReplyDelete